Today’s Efficient Oilheat Saves You Money
The combination of continually improving ultra-low-sulfur Bioheat® with increasingly efficient heating oil systems is the one-two punch that will help homeowners with oilheat save significant amounts of money on their heating bills. At the same time, their homes will be on the path to becoming carbon-neutral.
Recently, leaders of a number of Maine’s local heating oil companies were among the more than 300 leaders from the Northeast’s heating oil industry who unanimously passed a resolution to achieve net-zero carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions for heating oil by 2050. This means that your oilheat will have a carbon footprint of zero.
Heating oil companies in Maine are already delivering renewable liquid heating fuels, and this resolution illustrates their ongoing commitment to helping protect the environment and ensuring a sustainable future.
Today’s New High-Efficiency Oil Heating Systems Will Play a Big Role
Speak with your local oilheat dealer and you may be amazed by all of the modern innovations in oil heating equipment. It’s vastly different than it was just a generation ago, when your parents may have relied on an old boiler that had been converted from coal to oil.
Oilheat is cleaner, greener and more economical than ever! The latest oil heating systems are small, smart and super-efficient and can save you, on average, about 30% on your annual heating costs. There are many different equipment options to fit your budget, and your local heating oil company has expertise in all makes and models.
10 Fast Facts About Oilheat Efficiency
- The growth of ultra-low-sulfur Bioheat® supports more efficient equipment while also reducing emissions dramatically and eliminating the source of most equipment breakdowns.
- New oilheat systems now boast efficiency ratings as high as 95%, providing more warmth with less fuel than ever before.
- New oil heating equipment is much smaller than oil heating systems from the past. The average boilers and furnaces being installed today are similar in size to a three-drawer file cabinet.
- Studies have shown potential fuel savings as high as 48% when an outdated boiler is replaced by a new, high-efficiency oil boiler.*
- Many new oil boilers incorporate energy-saving controls that reduce fuel usage by as much as 10% and provide a more even heat.
- High-efficiency oil furnaces now feature variable-speed motors that use about 80% less electricity.
- Heating oil is one of the most powerful home heating fuels available. Energy output is measured in British Thermal Units (Btu’s), and a gallon of heating oil generates an incredibly high 138,690 Btu’s.
- Studies have proved that particulate emissions have been reduced significantly, and new oil heating systems now burn 99.9% cleanly.
- Compared with a quarter century ago, homeowners with new, more efficient oil heating systems now need an average of 500 gallons less oil to heat their homes each year.
- Oil-fired water heaters provide unlimited low-cost hot water. Not only does an oil water heater save lots of money over its lifetime, it is also perfect for homes with a high demand for hot water.
How to Get Energy Efficient on Your Own
Besides relying on clean, efficient oilheat, there are many other smart ways to reduce your heating costs. Visit MaineEnergyFacts.com for DIY projects and how-to videos.
* Source: NYSERDA.