Things You May Not Know About Modern Oilheat
Posted: February 27, 2019
The more you know about oilheat, the better you will like it! Here are 10 facts you may not know about this clean, affordable, safe and efficient heating source.
- The oilheat industry is moving forward on delivering Bioheat®. This is a blend of traditional home heating oil and American-made biodiesel—a highly refined, clean-burning fuel made from natural sources like soybeans.
- Today’s oilheat systems are so compact they take up as little as five square feet of space.
- As of July 1, 2018, every gallon of heating oil in Maine will be ultra-low sulfur heating oil. This will ensure that every homeowner will be able to take advantage of the significant benefits of ultra-low sulfur fuel!
- Many oilheat systems are so efficient they qualify for the Energy Star label.
- Oil-heated homes heat up quickly and provide even and efficient heat. For every gallon of oil burned, a whopping 140,000 Btu’s are generated.
- Particulate emissions have been reduced significantly and new oilheat systems now burn fuel 99.9 percent clean, according to studies conducted at the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Compared to 25 years ago, homeowners now need an average of 500 gallons less oil to heat their homes each year. That’s because new oilheating systems are much more efficient than those from a generation ago.
- Oil-fired water heaters provide unlimited hot water at low cost. Not only does an oil water heater save huge amounts of money over its lifetime, it is also perfect for homes with high hot water demand (growing families, homes with Jacuzzi bathtubs, etc.)
- New oil heat systems are so reliable that most manufacturers offer long-term warranties; if something ever fails, it’s easy to get replacement parts.
- Most full service oilheat dealers offer sales, installation and service of heating systems, including new and replacement oil burners, furnaces, boilers, and indirect and direct-fired water heaters and more. Many provide around-the-clock emergency service as well.
Local Facts about Oilheat in Maine
It’s amazing! Nearly 70% of Maine homeowners fuel their comfort with heating oil! That’s because when it comes to staying safe and warm during our cold Maine winters, nothing beats oilheat. Here are a few more facts about oilheat in Maine:
- More than 100 companies deliver heating oil to customers throughout the state.
- There are about 415,000 oil-heated homes in Maine.
- Approximately one million Mainers stay warm and cozy thanks to oilheat.
- Ultra-low sulfur heating oil (ULSHO), which is now delivered by all Maine heating oil dealers, has 99% less sulfur in it than before.
- The changeover to ULSHO results in a reduction in emissions of over 70%, compared with the emissions produced by conventional heating oil.
Contact your local oilheat company to learn more about all of the benefits of today’s oilheat!